Iran Resumes Nuclear Talks With Europe Before UN Resolution Ends

by | Jul 25, 2025

Iran agreed to continue nuclear discussions with European powers following what officials described as “serious, frank, and detailed” meetings in Istanbul on Friday—the first in-person talks since last month’s Israeli and U.S. strikes on Iranian territory.

 

The four-hour session, held at Iran’s consulate, brought together envoys from the EU and the E3 nations—France, Germany, and the UK. According to the UN’s nuclear watchdog, the talks could pave the way for restoring inspection access inside Iran.

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said both sides shared proposals on sanctions relief and nuclear restrictions. He said Iran criticized the West’s support for the recent “war of aggression” but laid out its “principled positions,” including its stance on the “snapback” mechanism that could automatically reinstate UN sanctions. “It was agreed that consultations on this matter will continue,” he added.

The 2015 nuclear agreement, abandoned by the U.S. in 2018, is governed by UN Security Council Resolution 2231, which is set to expire on October 18. Without renewed action, the expiration would lift remaining UN sanctions—unless the snapback clause is triggered at least 30 days prior. European diplomats have set an end-of-August deadline to revive negotiations before that window closes.

Officials say Iran must commit to several conditions, including potential engagement with Washington, full cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency, and clarification over the status of roughly 400 kilograms of near-weapons-grade uranium unaccounted for since last month’s attacks.

Ahead of the meeting, Iran dismissed talk of extending the resolution as “meaningless and baseless,” while maintaining its nuclear program is exclusively for civilian use.

 

 

Source: Reuters

 

 

 

Top News

Senate Confirms Kevin Warsh to Federal Reserve Board

Senate Confirms Kevin Warsh to Federal Reserve Board

The Senate voted 51-45 Tuesday to confirm Kevin Warsh to a 14-year term on the Federal Reserve Board of Governors, advancing President Trump’s effort to install him as the central bank’s next chair.   The Senate is expected to hold a separate vote later this week...