Department of War Pauses U.S.-Canada Defense Board

by | May 19, 2026

Left: Undersecretary of War Elbridge Colby / Right: Photo of Canadian PM Mark Carney : Youtube screenshot / Prime Minister of Canada

Undersecretary of War Elbridge Colby announced that the Department of War is pausing the Permanent Joint Board on Defense with Canada while officials reassess the forum’s role in North American defense cooperation.

 

Colby said a “strong Canada that prioritizes hard power over rhetoric benefits us all,” but argued Ottawa has failed to make “credible progress” on its defense commitments.

The announcement drew attention to remarks made earlier this year by Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney at the World Economic Forum, with Colby warning that “real powers must sustain our rhetoric with shared defense and security responsibilities.”

Colby said strengthening continental defense starts with recognizing the shared geography between the United States and Canada, adding that both countries must invest in their own defense capabilities to ensure long-term security and prosperity.

 

 

Source: Undersecretary of War Elbridge Colby on X

 

 

 

 

Top News

President Trump Endorses Ken Paxton for U.S. Senate in Texas

President Trump Endorses Ken Paxton for U.S. Senate in Texas

President Trump endorsed Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton in the state’s upcoming U.S. Senate race, calling him an “America First Patriot” and “true MAGA Warrior” who has remained loyal to both him and the MAGA movement.   In a Truth Social post, President Trump...

Jury Rejects Musk Claims Against OpenAI, Sam Altman

Jury Rejects Musk Claims Against OpenAI, Sam Altman

A federal jury rejected Elon Musk’s claims against OpenAI CEO Sam Altman after less than two hours of deliberation, siding with the defense in a dispute over OpenAI’s nonprofit origins and later restructuring.   U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers adopted...